Honda’s three-row Pilot SUV will get a brand-new generation for the 2023 model year. Details are still sketchy, but the company has released a teaser photo of a camouflaged TrailSport variant on a distant rocky mountainside. This makes us think that the Pilot will be going for a more rugged look this time.
We don’t yet know what powertrains will be available for the 2023 Pilot, but in the past, the mid-size crossover has been available with a V-6 engine. Honda has recently said that it wants to put more effort into hybrid powertrains, so we may see a partially electric setup here as well.
The current model has a 280-hp V-6 engine, so it seems likely that the new one will have at least as much power. It might even get a version of the TLX’s turbocharged V-6 engine to keep up with the Ford Bronco and Jeep Grand Cherokee, which are more powerful vehicles in the same class. Most models will probably have an option for all-wheel drive, but we expect the Pilot to stay on a platform with front-wheel drive.
As more information becomes available, we’ll update this story with more details about:
- Engine, Transmission, and Performance
- Fuel Economy and Real-World MPG
- Interior, Comfort, and Cargo
- Infotainment and Connectivity
- Safety and Driver-Assistance Features
- Warranty and Maintenance Coverage
When will the 2023 Honda Pilot be available for purchase?
How much will the 2023 Honda Pilot cost?
2023 Honda Pilot potential specs: Engine options, towing
How does the new platform improve performance?
We’ve already seen the redesigned MDX and liked how well the platform worked. Because of these things, the MDX can drive like a smaller SUV. The 2023 Honda Pilot probably won’t have the same performance-oriented features as the previous version, but it could feel more lively.
Expected pros and cons for the new Pilot SUV
- Versatile and roomy interior
- Smooth and compliant ride under most conditions
- Better fuel mileage than most competitors
- Narrow third-row access
- Collision warning and adaptive cruise control settings are overly sensitive
- Higher starting price than rival models
Honda Pilot Competitors
- Toyota Highlander: The Toyota Highlander is a reliable and spacious SUV that offers a comfortable ride and advanced safety features.
- Ford Explorer: The Ford Explorer is a versatile SUV that offers three rows of seating and a range of engine options, including a hybrid model.
- Chevrolet Traverse: The Chevrolet Traverse is a family-friendly SUV that offers a spacious interior, ample cargo space, and advanced safety features.
- Kia Telluride: The Kia Telluride is a stylish and spacious SUV that offers three rows of seating, advanced safety features, and a comfortable ride.
- Hyundai Palisade: The Hyundai Palisade is a luxurious and well-equipped SUV that offers a spacious interior, advanced safety features, and a smooth ride.
- Mazda CX-9: The Mazda CX-9 is a sporty and stylish SUV that offers a comfortable and refined ride, advanced safety features, and a premium interior.
Honda Pilot FAQs
here are some frequently asked questions about the Honda Pilot:
Q: What is the seating capacity of the Honda Pilot?
A: The Honda Pilot offers seating for up to eight passengers, depending on the trim level and configuration.
Q: What kind of engine does the Honda Pilot have?
A: The Honda Pilot is powered by a 3.5-liter V6 engine that produces 280 horsepower and 262 lb-ft of torque.
Q: Is the Honda Pilot available with all-wheel drive?
A: Yes, all-wheel drive is available on all trim levels of the Honda Pilot.
Q: What kind of fuel economy does the Honda Pilot get?
A: The fuel economy of the Honda Pilot varies depending on the trim level, configuration, and drivetrain. The front-wheel drive version of the Pilot gets an EPA-estimated 20 mpg in the city and 27 mpg on the highway.
Q: What are some of the safety features available on the Honda Pilot?
A: The Honda Pilot comes standard with a range of advanced safety features, including forward collision warning, automatic emergency braking, lane departure warning, and adaptive cruise control.
Q: What is the towing capacity of the Honda Pilot?
A: The towing capacity of the Honda Pilot varies depending on the trim level and configuration. The Pilot can tow up to 5,000 pounds when properly equipped.
Q: What kind of technology features does the Honda Pilot offer?
A: The Honda Pilot is available with a range of advanced technology features, including a touchscreen infotainment system, Apple CarPlay and Android Auto smartphone integration, and a rear-seat entertainment system.