The GMC Canyon is a mid-size pickup truck that was first introduced in 2004. It is manufactured by General Motors and sold under the GMC brand. The Canyon is similar to its sister truck, the Chevrolet Colorado, but features unique styling and features that set it apart.
The GMC Canyon is known for its versatility, offering both work-ready and off-road capable versions of the vehicle. It is available with a choice of two engines, including a 2.5-liter inline four-cylinder engine and a 3.6-liter V6 engine, both of which are paired with a six-speed automatic transmission.
The Canyon is offered in a range of trim levels, including the base model, SLE, SLT, All Terrain, and Denali. The base model comes with basic features such as air conditioning, power windows, and a rearview camera, while higher trims offer more advanced features such as heated seats, navigation, and a premium audio system.
The GMC Canyon is a popular choice for those who need a pickup truck that is versatile, capable, and comfortable to drive. It is designed to appeal to a wide range of buyers, from those who need a work truck to those who enjoy off-road adventures.
GMC Canyon Price
Expect the 2023 GMC Canyon sometime in the summer. According to GMC, the Canyon will be priced between $40,000 to $63,350.
GMC Canyon Variants
The GMC Canyon is offered in several variants, each with its own unique features and capabilities. Here’s a brief overview of the different variants:
- Base: The base GMC Canyon comes with basic features such as air conditioning, power windows, and a rearview camera. It’s a good option for those who need a simple and reliable work truck.
- SLE: The SLE trim level adds more features such as a larger infotainment screen, SiriusXM satellite radio, and a six-way power-adjustable driver’s seat. It also comes with a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot and automatic climate control.
- SLT: The SLT trim level is a step up from the SLE and adds features such as leather upholstery, heated front seats, and a premium Bose audio system. It also comes with advanced safety features such as forward collision warning and lane departure warning.
- All Terrain: The All Terrain package is available on the SLE and SLT trim levels and adds off-road features such as an off-road suspension, hill descent control, and skid plates. It also comes with unique styling elements such as darkened wheels and exterior trim.
- AT4: The AT4 is the top off-road variant of the GMC Canyon and comes with advanced features such as a two-speed transfer case, off-road-tuned suspension, and all-terrain tires. It also comes with exclusive styling elements such as red tow hooks and a black chrome grille.
- Denali: The Denali is the highest trim level of the GMC Canyon and comes with luxury features such as heated and ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, and a wireless charging pad. It also comes with advanced safety features such as automatic emergency braking and front and rear parking sensors. It has exclusive styling elements such as a unique grille and 20-inch alloy wheels.
GMC Canyon Colors
- Satin Steel Metallic
- Summit White
- Onyx Black
- Carbon Black Metallic
- Dark Sky Metallic
- Hunter Metallic
- Desert Sand Metallic
- Marine Blue Metallic
For the 2023 model year, GMC has released a completely revamped Canyon. The new lineup of the midsize pickup trucks features an upgraded cabin, a more rugged exterior, and a new set of vehicles. The previous generation of the Canyon was released in 2015, therefore the upgrades were long overdue. Read this to get an idea of what the brand new Cany
on pickup vehicle has in store for you.
GMC Canyon Features
- Engine Options: The GMC Canyon offers three engine options – a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine, a 3.6-liter V6 engine, and a 2.8-liter Duramax diesel engine. The engines are mated to a 6-speed automatic or an 8-speed automatic transmission.
- Infotainment System: The Canyon comes equipped with an 8-inch touchscreen infotainment system that supports Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, Bluetooth connectivity, and a 4G LTE Wi-Fi hotspot.
- Driver-Assist Technologies: The Canyon comes with a range of driver-assist technologies, including forward collision alert, lane departure warning, and a rearview camera.
- Towing Capacity: The GMC Canyon has a towing capacity of up to 7,700 pounds when properly equipped, making it a great choice for those who need to haul heavy loads.
- Off-Road Capability: The Canyon All Terrain model comes with an off-road suspension package, hill descent control, and an automatic locking rear differential, which makes it a capable off-road vehicle.
- Comfort and Convenience: The Canyon offers features like heated and ventilated front seats, a heated steering wheel, dual-zone automatic climate control, and a remote start system.
- Safety Features: The Canyon comes equipped with a range of safety features like airbags, anti-lock brakes, traction control, stability control, and a tire pressure monitoring system.
GMC Canyon Specs
- 2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine: 200 horsepower and 191 lb-ft of torque
- 3.6-liter V6 engine: 308 horsepower and 275 lb-ft of torque
- 2.8-liter Duramax diesel engine: 181 horsepower and 369 lb-ft of torque
- 6-speed automatic transmission (standard on 2.5L and 3.6L engines)
- 8-speed automatic transmission (standard on diesel engine)
- Rear-wheel drive (standard)
- Four-wheel drive (available on all trims)
Towing and Payload Capacity:
- Maximum towing capacity: 7,700 pounds (when properly equipped)
- Maximum payload capacity: 1,550 pounds (when properly equipped)
- 2.5-liter engine: 19 city / 25 highway mpg (RWD) and 19 city / 24 highway mpg (4WD)
- 3.6-liter engine: 18 city / 25 highway mpg (RWD) and 17 city / 24 highway mpg (4WD)
- 2.8-liter Duramax diesel engine: 20 city / 30 highway mpg (RWD) and 19 city / 28 highway mpg (4WD)
- Length: 212.4 inches
- Width (without mirrors): 74.3 inches
- Height: 70.4 inches
- Wheelbase: 128.3 inches
- Ground clearance: 8.2 inches
- 2 passengers in regular cab
- 4-5 passengers in extended and crew cab models
Standard and Available Features:
- Infotainment system with 7-inch touchscreen display
- Apple CarPlay and Android Auto
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Wi-Fi hotspot
- Rearview camera
- Forward collision alert
- Lane departure warning
- Automatic emergency braking
- Teen Driver technology
- Power-adjustable driver’s seat
- Heated front seats
- Leather-appointed seats
- Automatic climate control
- Remote start system
- Spray-on bedliner
- LED lighting in cargo box
- Trailering package
- Off-road suspension package (All Terrain model)
- Hill descent control (All Terrain model)
- Automatic locking rear differential (All Terrain model)
GMC Canyon Competitors
|Brand/Model||Base Price||Engine Options||Towing Capacity||Payload Capacity||Seating Capacity|
|Chevrolet Colorado||$26,395||2.5-liter 4-cylinder engine: 200 hp and 191 lb-ft of torque <br> 3.6-liter V6 engine: 308 hp and 275 lb-ft of torque <br> 2.8-liter Duramax diesel engine: 181 hp and 369 lb-ft of torque||Up to 7,700 lbs||Up to 1,550 lbs||2-5 passengers|
|Ford Ranger||$24,820||2.3-liter EcoBoost 4-cylinder engine: 270 hp and 310 lb-ft of torque||Up to 7,500 lbs||Up to 1,860 lbs||4-5 passengers|
|Toyota Tacoma||$27,000||2.7-liter 4-cylinder engine: 159 hp and 180 lb-ft of torque <br> 3.5-liter V6 engine: 278 hp and 265 lb-ft of torque||Up to 6,800 lbs||Up to 1,440 lbs||4-5 passengers|
|Nissan Frontier||$28,670||3.8-liter V6 engine: 310 hp and 281 lb-ft of torque||Up to 6,720 lbs||Up to 1,460 lbs||4-5 passengers|
|Jeep Gladiator||$33,565||3.6-liter V6 engine: 285 hp and 260 lb-ft of torque <br> 3.0-liter EcoDiesel V6 engine: 260 hp and 442 lb-ft of torque||Up to 7,650 lbs||Up to 1,700 lbs||4-5 passengers|
GMC Canyon FAQs
Q: What is the starting price of the 2022 GMC Canyon?
A: The base price for the 2022 GMC Canyon is $27,595.
Q: How many people can the GMC Canyon seat?
A: The GMC Canyon can seat up to five passengers.
Q: What are the available engine options for the GMC Canyon?
A: The 2022 GMC Canyon is available with a 2.5-liter four-cylinder engine, a 3.6-liter V6 engine, and a 2.8-liter Duramax diesel engine.
Q: What is the towing capacity of the GMC Canyon?
A: The towing capacity of the 2022 GMC Canyon ranges from 3,500 to 7,700 pounds, depending on the engine and configuration.
Q: Is the GMC Canyon available with four-wheel drive?
A: Yes, the 2022 GMC Canyon is available with four-wheel drive.
Q: What are the available trim levels for the GMC Canyon?
A: The 2022 GMC Canyon is available in four trim levels: Elevation Standard, Elevation, AT4, and Denali.
Q: Does the GMC Canyon have advanced safety features?
A: Yes, the 2022 GMC Canyon comes with a variety of advanced safety features, including forward collision warning, lane departure warning, and automatic emergency braking.
Q: What is the fuel economy of the GMC Canyon?
A: The fuel economy of the 2022 GMC Canyon varies depending on the engine and configuration, but ranges from 17 to 22 mpg in the city and 24 to 30 mpg on the highway.
Q: Is the GMC Canyon a reliable truck?
A: The GMC Canyon has a good reputation for reliability, according to various sources such as Consumer Reports and J.D. Power. However, as with any vehicle, reliability can depend on how well the owner maintains and cares for the truck.